Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Darwinism Design

Watch evolution before your very eyes...





Well, I guess Asian car designers need to take cues from something inspirational, but how is it that all their small car designs look like odd aquatic fish?

Take the Chinese Chery Qq that debuted at the Shanghai Auto show this year. I am trying to wrap my mind (I'm sure I could with my arms) around a micro-car that looks like a coffin fish. Bugged-eyed and unhappy, this car's design personality will haunt me if and when it ever makes it to the American shores.

Even the color palette is eerily similar. I thought Mary Kay pink had been de-listed from the swatch book years ago.

I find the upcoming Nissan "Leaf" to fall in a similar category. Perhaps more amphibian than the Qq, how will its salamander-like face resonate with the buying public on this side of the Pacific?



Maybe I'm being a little obtuse with these associations. For that I apologize. But when you see the slick new "City Car" from BMW, you begin to understand that micro-small needn't look like guppy-gross.

No comments:

Post a Comment