Saturday, August 29, 2009

Heading in the Opposite Direction









I daresay that if Cruella DeVille (101 Dalmatians fame) had traded in her bat-winged monstrosity in the recent Cash for Clunkers sweepstakes, this is the car she would have bought.

Welcome to the 2010 Lincoln MKT.

I am especially reluctant to criticize Ford Motor these days as they are the one manufacturer who appears to have gotten their act together. Cash in the bank and a revamped product line that's in step with the times bodes well for the blue oval folks from Dearborn. But I am having a devil of a time embracing this new Lincoln. Here's why.

Like so many others who have complained about "me-too" lookalike car design for the past several decades, is this MKT 180 degree stylistic turnaround too different? I have commented in the past that the split-grill "new face for Lincoln" was cartoonish, at best, on many of the show cars debuting at the various auto events across the country. Now that we will soon be seeing the production version on the road, my initial reactions are turning into fear.

Lincoln designers have resurrected the split grill theme from the late 30s Zephyr. That's fine, but the defining "look" of Lincoln wasn't in the 30s. It was in the 60s! The Continentals from that era were handsomely restrained, moderating the use of chrome, and relying on sculpted-steel that gave the distinctive "kick-up" to the rear flanks. The grills were full length Norelco shaver designs that brought dignity and a premium look to Cadillac's competitor. The President and Jackie Kennedy, style-setters themselves, looked stunning in the new Lincolns.

The designers started to go that route when they introduced the MKX crossover three years ago. But with six Lincoln vehicles to create identities, I imagine the distinction of one grill was too limiting. They should have culled the number of models and stuck with the original theme (who needs entry-level luxury fakes or trucks for that matter) when by most accounts you should only be building American luxury automobiles.

In fairness, I haven't seen the new MKT in person. I look forward to it. I might change my mind, especially if it's in black.

Do you agree, or disagree with me?

I'm curious what you have to say. Please leave a comment about the new Lincoln.

5 comments:

  1. When I first saw the MKT my reactions were similar to yours. But I have really grown to appreciate it, especially the whole package, including the incredible technology available. I believe the car looks stunning in candy red. The brightness of the color seems to diminish somewhat, to me at least, the large front grill. Anyway, I am planning to order an ecoboost model as soon as I get to test drive it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your post. I believe the MKT is growing on me as well the more I look at it. Yes, the technology is impressive and the blind-spot assist and active park assist should be really appreciated as this is a big car. The Ecoboost engine, which delivers the power of a V-8 at V-6 gas consumption, is an exciting development for Ford. It was called "Twin Power" on the show car circuit. I recently mentioned it to a friend who is in the market for a new Flex, as it is available on that model as well.

    Hmmmmm. The MKT in Candy Red. You will surely be a sport about town in that color. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mistake, the name on the show circuit was "TwinForce".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where were the Big Three when the sports wagon was taking off? Volvo, Mercedes, BMW all understood this category, but it was abandoned. I'm glad to see the attention back to wagons. They remind me of the best family vacation I ever took - driving from Florida to Wyoming and back in a 1969 Ford Country Squire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Braxton - I agree that the American car manufacturers should have never totally abandoned the station wagon models. I have fond memories, too, of traveling the east coast in a Chevy Biscayne wagon my father had. The issue of their demise was uniquely American. With the advent of the Chrysler minivan in the early 80s, and later the introduction of SUVs in the 90s, the market for station wagons simply dried up. The Europeans suffered no such similar fate, and continued to produce them during those two decades. Is it any wonder that Volvo's best selling automobile is a station wagon?

    Bill.

    ReplyDelete