Sunday, May 3, 2009

Drive The Blue Ridge




There's no finer weekend drive than to embrace the magnificent Blue Ridge Parkway in a top-down sportster. My trusty traveling companion, Marty Thomas, and I have made several treks to this Virginia-North Carolina parkway over the years and everytime we drive it we make another exciting discovery. The highest elevation reaches nearly 5,000 feet and the views are remarkable.

A few tips I can share with you. Go in the early spring. The crowds are non-existent and the road usually deserted. The posted speed is 40 mph but 60 is exhilarating and still safe. There aren't many guard rails so use caution. We heard on our last trip that two guys in a SUV (figures) accidentally drove off one of the embankments and were killed.

The driving experience is relative to the car you take. Our first trip we took my Thunderbird. The T-Bird is a boulevardier at best and no match for the twisties this 400 mile long road boosts. But the Bird was a convertible so that made up for its lack of enthusiasm in the curves. The trip in the Solstice was another experience altogether. Marty and I flew around mountain-top corners like two bats out of hell. The adrenaline peaked about every 5 minutes and it beat the pants off any Busch Gardens roller coaster ride. The element of death is there for sure. I believe you are best doing this jaunt in a tossable sports car, like the Solstice or a Miata. A Corvette or Porsche is too heavy and over-horsepowered for this outing.

A few other observations worth sharing. Take a sweater. Even in late May it can get down right chilly in the hills. Also respect the unique weather you may encounter. If it appears like it might rain, then there may be some serious fog issues. It can be mean! Marty and I had such an experience. If I recall correctly, she had to get out of the car and by tapping on the front fender guide me from driving off the cliffs. You could not see your hand in front of your face I kid you not.

As I mentioned, this is a perfect weekend trip and I suggest a great resting spot for the night in Blowing Rock, North Carolina. It's a charming mountain village with great accommodations and restaurants.

No comments:

Post a Comment