Sunday, May 3, 2009

Great Grandfather's Essex


H. C. Layton, my Great-Grandfather, drove this 1929 Essex coupe everyday in his hometown of Bridgeville, Delaware. He ran the local hardware store, H. C. Layton & Sons, for 70 years. The store remains open today and is managed by my cousin, Michael Layton.

The Essex was manufactured by Hudson who introduced affordable "closed" coupes and sedans to the driving public (as opposed to the Model T which was an "open" car ). The price was somewhere around $1,400 new.

If my memory serves correctly, he also sold them at the hardware store.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Bill. This is Mike's first daughter, Mary Gil. I'll have to point your blog out to dad the next time I'm home, if he doesn't already know about it. He loves history and old pics.

    My cousin Will (Garrett's son) lives in Norfolk I think. Not sure how in touch with family you are. I've been more interested in it since I moved to San Francisco. Go figure, I get closer to my family after I move across the country.

    Hope you and yours are well.

    -MG

    ReplyDelete